Regional Capitals Australia is hosting a forum to bring together federal politicians, state government department representatives, local government mayors and CEOs, and key academics to discuss the creation of a policy mandate ‘national building through strong capitals and connected communities’.
The ‘Regionalism 2.0’ forum is about a new era in regionalism. Sessions will focus on creating regional capitals that will lead the social and economic future of Australia.
Minister for Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government The Hon. Simon Crean will officially launch the forum.
The Regionalism 2.0 sessions, which will be led by a federal policy and industry expert, will explore:
- Why should Australia be a nation of regional capitals?
- Shared vision – How do we build a nation of regional capitals?
- What does a coordinated framework look like?
– National Planning
– Investment Strategy
Where: City of Greater Geelong, Council Chambers, 30 Gheringap Street, Geelong, Victoria
When: Thursday 21 February, 9am to 4.30pm
Key Note Speakers
- Minister for Regional Australia, Regional Development and Local Government The Hon. Simon Crean
- Board Member Infrastructure Australia and Associate Director at KPMG Ms Nicole Lockwood
- Shadow Minister for Regional Development The Hon. Bob Baldwin
RCA Chair Cr Mark Byatt:
8.30-8.50am and 10.30-10.45am – Thursday 20 February 2013, City of Greater Geelong, Council Chambers, 30 Gheringhap Street, Geelong
Other keynote speakers or panel discussion members by request.
Full program attached
Regional Capitals Australia members
- Albury City Council
- Wagga Wagga City Council
- Alice Springs Town Council
- City of Palmerston
- Launceston City Council
- City of Ballarat
- Greater Bendigo City Council
- City of Wodonga
- City of Greater Geelong
- Horsham Rural City Council
- Latrobe City Council
- Mildura Rural City Council
- Greater Shepparton City Council
- Wangaratta Rural City Council
- Warrnambool City Council
- City of Albany
- Shire of Broome
- City of Bunbury
- City of Greater Geraldton
- City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder
- Town of Port Hedland
- Shire of Roebourne
About Regional Capitals Australia
Regional Capitals Australia (RCA) is an alliance of regional city local government associations from across Australia. RCA was formed on the basis that creating vibrant regional cities not only requires investment in infrastructure and services, it requires investment in thinking – a strategic approach to the challenges and opportunities of sustainable growth. RCA was created in November 2011 with the aim to partner with and influence the Australian Government on decisions, policies, strategies and investment priorities to help build a network of well-planned and sustainable regional cities across Australia.
Contacts: Regional Capitals Australia Secretariat: Rachael Sweeney – 0422 067 858
Media contact for the forum: Kristi High – 0407 366 466